You are the Future of Mining
As part of SME's long standing commitment to the Students and Educators in the mining industry, we have developed a conference program specifically geared to meet the educational and networking needs of this very important, growing segment of our constituents.
THE INDUSTRY CONFERENCE YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO MISS
With limited time and resources, we know it can be difficult to choose the right conference to attend that will provide lasting benefits for your educational and personal growth. The MineXchange 2020 SME Annual Conference & Expo is the premier event for the mining and metallurgy industry. Offering an expansive Students and Educators program, our goal is to provide you with a conference experience that will not only inspire you in your studies, but an experience that can open the doors to future prospects.
1. Unlimited Learning ExperiencesMineXchange provides excellent opportunities to learn more about your specific field of study in a diverse, professional environment.
2. Expand Your Personal & Professional NetworkYou will have the opportunity to meet new people and rub shoulders with the leading industry scholars and professionals who inspire you.
3. Make a Lasting ImpressionMineXchange gives you the chance to shine as a student/scholar, especially if you’re presenting or participating in one of our many student activities and functions. You can also list conferences you’ve participated in on your curriculum vitae.
4. Reignite Your PassionMineXchange is a great way to refuel yourself. Just when you’re feeling worn out from taking classes, writing papers, or teaching a heavy course load, Program & Expo Floor can give you the boost you need to reignite your passion and invigorate your work.
NETWORKING & DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES FOR STUDENTS
Students, you are the future of the mining industry and MineXchange offers several events for you to connect with other students from around the world and to connect with industry leaders that can get your career off to a great start!
Mentor Meeting PlaceSunday, Feb 23. | 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM
The 2020 Mentor Meeting Place will once again assign mentors/mentees onsite. We will have tables set up identifying the following disciplines: Metallurgical, Mining, Geological, Materials, Coal, Environmental, Health & Safety and Under Ground Construction.
- Mentors: Experienced professionals - There are mentees out there that want your guidance and as an industry we need to mentor the next generation so they are ready to take on mining’s challenges.
Mentees: Make yourselves known through SME so mentors can find you. If you’re open, these mentors will find you. The knowledge and experience they can pass on to you will help you advance in your field
SME/NSSGA Student Design Competition (Final Presentations)Sunday, Feb 23. | 7:00 AM – 2:00 PM
The SME/NSSGA Student Design competition is a two-phase, team-based problem involving a technical design and an oral presentation. The technical design takes place during the first semester of the school year on each team's campus. It is designed to simulate an engineering project prepared by an engineering group for a company. Past problems have highlighted the challenges of mine planning, plant design, reserve modeling, and feasibility analysis.
NSSGA Rocks Build America Foundation,
Vulcan Materials, Luck Stone Corp,
Martin Marietta and Lehigh Hanson
Cedar Mountain Stone,
Tema Isenmann Inc. and New Enterprise Stone and Lime
SME 2020 Student Engagement BreakfastSunday, Feb 23 | 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
The Student Engagement Breakfast was created in 2016 to increase student involvement with industry leaders. The breakfast is sponsored annually by mining companies to showcase emerging technology and innovation. This year, students will have the unique opportunity to connect with Freeport- McMoRan representatives and learn special insights into what it’s like working for one of world’s largest copper mining companies! All student attendees are invited to the breakfast. Contact Mona Vandervoort at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Sponsored by:
Sunday, Feb 23. | Noon – 1:30 PM
SME 2020 Student Forum Lunch
Join us for an exciting lunch and interactive program hosted by Newmont Goldcorp. Network with executives and engineers from Newmont Goldcorp and celebrate with your peers as we announce the winner of the SME Outstanding Student Chapter Contest, the Student Chapter MEC Award, and the 2019 Student Membership Challenge winner.
- Sponsored by:
Monday, February 24, 2020 | 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Komatsu/SME Student & Professor Reception
Come one come all to the favorited student event at the SME Annual Conference & Expo each year! More details to come.
- Sponsored by:
Tuesday, February 25, 2020. | 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Freeport-McMoRan Student Networking Reception